Data collected under the auspices of the MCR LTER are available to the public after primary publication, or at most two years after the completion of the study unless proprietary restrictions are warranted. Use of MCR LTER data is subject to acceptance of the following conditions:
1. The user agrees to provide valid name and contact information prior to downloading online data. This information will be used to contact the user in case of changes to the data, and may also be used by data set authors and MCR LTER project administrators to document data usage.
2. The user agrees to cite the data set author and MCR LTER in all publications in which the data are used, as per the instructions in the data documentation. If no specific instructions are provided in the data documentation, the user is requested to include the following statement: "Data sets were provided by the Moorea Coral Reef Ecosystem LTER, funded by the US National Science Foundation (OCE-0417412)".
3. The user agrees to provide one copy of any manuscript based on MCR LTER data to the data set author prior to submitting it for publication.
4. The user agrees to send two hard copies of any published manuscript based on MCR LTER data to the following address:
Dr. Andrew J. Brooks
Deputy Program Director, MCR LTER
Marine Science Institute
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6150
The user also agrees to send one electronic copy (pdf format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Users are prohibited from selling or redistributing any data provided by MCR LTER without explicit prior permission.
6. Users are encouraged to contact original investigators responsible for data. Where appropriate, researchers whose projects are integrally dependent on MCR LTER data are encouraged to consider collaboration and/or co-authorship with original investigators.
7. Extensive efforts are made to ensure that online data are accurate and up to date, but the authors and the MCR LTER will not take responsibility for any errors that may exist in data provided online. Furthermore, the user assumes all responsibility for errors in analysis or judgment resulting from use of the data.
8. Any violation of the terms of this agreement will result in immediate forfeiture of the data and loss of access privileges to other MCR LTER data sets.